Read all about Montessori basics in Montessori 101 by Tim Seldin, President of the Montessori Foundation.
Smyrna Montessori School follows the Montessori method of early childhood education. Montessori education offers a sensible, structured system that allows children to develop at their own pace, using their own abilities, with positive guidance of a teacher and the use of specially designed Montessori materials.
What makes Montessori unique?
- Specially designed classrooms are planned to enhance the 5 senses and build intelligence.
- Children learn by exploring and discover concepts with hands on manipulative equipment.
- Teachers are trained to observe and guide the children through the various curriculum areas when the child is ready.
- Individualized learning allows the students to progress at their own pace.
- A strong foundation of confidence is built as the child experiences success through work.
- Children learn self help skills so they can care for themselves and their environment.
- Logical and creative thinking are developed and problem-solving skills are encouraged.
- Movement is the basis for all learning.
NOTE: SINCE THE NAME “MONTESSORI” ALONE CANNOT BE COPYRIGHTED, SCHOOLS MAY USE THIS NAME IN VARIOUS WAYS. FURTHER, MONTESSORI TEACHER TRAINING IS FAR FROM UNIFORM, SO IT IS OFTEN DIFFICULT TO COMPARE MONTESSORI PROGRAMS, SCHOOLS, AND TEACHERS. SMYRNA MONTESSORI SCHOOL IS A FULL MEMBER SCHOOL OF THE AMERICAN MONTESSORI SOCIETY (AMS), A VITAL, INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO THE ASSURANCE OF QUALITY MONTESSORI PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN.